Tuesday 24 January 2023

Privacy, Online & Off

 The Internet is undoubtedly an essential part of modern life, it brings endless benefits, but it also comes with some risks. In recent years, Internet fraud and telephone fraud have become a very hot topic in China. As well as some information you post on social software, the information in a photo is far beyond your imagination. Your identity information, monthly income, and address all have the risk of privacy being violated.

What I feel the most is that I registered certain information online or in some places, including my mobile phone number. Since then, I have frequently received some harassing calls, and even calls from overseas. Although I never answer those harassing calls, Ren has had a terrible impact on my life. (I receive at least 10 harassing calls or text messages a day). Even more troubling, through my phone number, my parents' phone numbers were leaked as well, and they received similar content as I did. The content I registered is a community or a web page needed for some work, and there is a high probability that they use my privacy to gain benefits.

In China, there is now a mobile app called "National Anti-Fraud App" 国家反诈中心_百度百科 (baidu.com). It is a state-founded application, run by the police, and a dedicated agency has been set up.  What it does is there is a system of logging suspicious numbers that anyone can report in real time in the app. When the official confirms that the call is risky, when you receive a fraudulent call, it will remind you that this is a suspicious number, or that this number has been reported by many people recently. And after you find out that you have been defrauded, you can directly file a case in the app, which can help you solve these problems more quickly. 

For ourselves, avoid disclosing important information about yourself in public. The part of the photo related to the address can be mosaiced. Do not register your personal information in suspicious webpages; websites; applications. When these situations happen to us, don't panic, you can ask the police for help.

No comments:

Post a Comment